Earlier this year we were awarded a small grant from Isle of Wight Council’s Mental Health Team. We bid for money to produce a short film, with young people who had either a disability, long term health condition, or poor mental well being. It was decided to find only a small group of young people. So they could ‘bond’ with each other and feel more free to talk, so we ended up with the Fab 6!
When watching the film please be aware that 3 of the young people have thought about suicide.
The format was a 4-day workshop:
- Day 1 – Choosing a topic. Planning and writing script for presenter
- Day 2 – Talks from experts on the use of graphic design, social media and websites to promote a film.
- Day 3 – Filming. The Fab 6 also were involved in lighting, taking photos, etc.
- Day 4 – Editing. All took part and collective decisions were made.
It is remarkable how the Fab 6 have improved in their confidence since making the film. We recently held a film premiere and the message from the young people was “Listen to us”.
Since then, members of the business community have volunteered some time to help mentor the Fab 6, to empower them to design, plan, build and implement services that they want, not what people are saying they need.
- Jackson is off to University
- Leisha, Robyn and Christian are at college
- Luke now has employment
- Izak is doing work experience
Please feel free to contact me if you have any comments.
Thank you for your interest.